‘At last we’ve arrived at the season in which we are all given license to be unremarkable.’
This piece on why autumn is boring and great resonated with me.
November has been pleasantly familiar. Bright, crisp and suddenly dark.
I’ve spent days working and studying, either in our cosy office or a quiet corner of the library. We’ve spent evenings at home with warming meals and Netflix, or at other people’s homes with board games and tea. Weekends have meant afternoons on the sofa and walks during treasured sunny hours.
As autumn turns to winter and the year draws to a close, I’m appreciating the unremarkable, everyday stuff.
See you next month.
I’ve been writing:
- 7 Newsletters to Brighten Your Inbox and Boost Your Motivation
- On Sisterhood
- Gluten Free Christmas Guide
I’ve been reading:
- The Rules Do Not Apply
- Mothering Sunday
- Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women
- Standard Deviation
- Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat
- How to Remember What You Read
- What Boredom Does to You: The Science of the Wandering Mind
- I made a film from my bed to show my illness is real
- The UK no longer has a national public library system
- A visit to the new library (Sadly not in the UK)
- A conversation on love with Dolly Alderton
- Saying “No” with Grace
- Things You Only Know If You’ve Never Been Travelling (‘Us holidayers might have prioritised laying down roots over sowing our wild oats, but we’re still seeing the world, slowly, savouring it from a series of AirBnB windows.’)
- Predictions for Blogging in 2018
I’ve been listening to:
- Weinstein Culture – The Guilty Feminist
- Location, location, location: finding a place that feels like home – Dear Sugars
- Nadia Clifford and Tim Delap on Jane Eyre – National Theatre Talks
- Lauren Groff Reads Shirley Hazzard – The New Yorker: Fiction
- Cropped Out of My Own Fantasy – Modern Love
- Greta Gerwig on ‘Lady Bird’ – Fresh Air
I’ve been watching:
- The Death of Stalin
- Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold
- The Future of Storytelling – Shonda Rhimes and Cyndi Stivers
- The Good Place
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Jane the Virgin